Sign in to follow this  
James Pannafino

Design outside of an Art Department, the good and the bad

In many cases, Design is within an Art and Design department. Some might think the grass is greener and maybe having their own Design department or being part of a different department might have advantages. I like to hear good and bad examples of Design moving. This isn't a discussion on the value of Art in Design, that will always be there. I am looking for more result based stories of design in academic structure.

• Like 1

The closest I've gotten to this is NASAD telling our Art Department that Design should have it's own distinct BFA degree and track. I was once at a private school where there was a design 'school' and the two programs in it were graphic design and interior design. This worked well and balanced business, art, and other disciplines really nicely. I think a private school has the flexibility to do this versus a state institution. At a state institution, I've mostly seen art departments relying totally on design to maintain enrollment numbers, which creates resentments, etc. 

I had a peer once mention they wanted their design program to be in a business school – which I thought was a unique concept in that it would reinforce design entrepreneurship and professional practices.