Howdy All,

As part of our self study, we told NASAD that we were going to have a Sophomore review, with would basically tell students wether they could continue in the art program. Do any of your perspective schools do this? How is it set up? 

-Mitch

• Like 1

Hi Mitchell,

I know some schools do have a block program such as this. Students who do not make it have to repeat the entire first year and then re-apply the again. I taught many students who went through the system a couple of times and then left the program they were at. It became quite political.

We (the entire faculty) review each class at the end of every semester. They are given their assessments with comments. If anyone is graded a C- or below by one of their professors they go on probation. If they are on probation twice, they may then be asked to leave the program. If they fail a class, they have to repeat the entire semester, meaning they would not graduate with their class.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this is what I have encountered thus far. 

best, Michele

• Like 1

hi Mitch, we did sophomore (and junior!) reviews for many years and recently decided to end that practice. Instead, we're implementing minimum grade benchmarks throughout the foundation-level courses (i.e., B or B- to continue in the program) starting AY 2018-19. I don't know if one way is better than the other – I think it depends on the program, degree paths, and culture within the program. 

• Like 1

Here is my issue with reviews: 

They don't mean much of anything if your program has low-enrollment. Faculty could be incentivized to pass poor performing students to make sure their upper-level courses run. I know this is coming from a cynical place, but I've seen it happen. 

@Jessica Barness I think your model is smart and I really hope it works. 

24 minutes ago, RJ Thompson said:

Faculty could be incentivized to pass poor performing students to make sure their upper-level courses run. 

Thanks, RJ, and you've raised a good point – the results of sophomore review could certainly impact upper-level courses. In our program, it was also a mechanism for determining BA vs BFA degree paths in visual communication design. 

This is all great information! Thanks everyone. Some colleagues have brought up the argument that RJ has. The other side of that is that, we have no requirements to get into our program. So some students may never make it in the field of art and design. We would then do them a dis service to allow them to stay in a program with the expectation that they would never pass the upper level courses or get a job in the field. I can actually see both sides of this.