http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/classification_descriptions/basic.php

I'm fascinated by the research expectations across institutions. One factor I've seen is the program offerings of a given institution. Another factor, particularly in our field of communication design, is the ability to do creative work or client work locally. Are there other factors?

I also wonder whether the Carnegie classifications are a good guide to what an institution research expectations are of you during your tenure.

How does the Carnegie classifications rate your school, and what are your research expectations?

7 hours ago, Dan Wong said:

How does the Carnegie classifications rate your school, and what are your research expectations?

We are not classified by the Carnegie system, but after a quick read I would expect my University to sit somewhere in the R1/R2 doctoral space. Here in NZ we use a modified form of the UK's REF to assess research. Every 6 years all researchers across all disciplines in the country are assessed on the quality and impact of their research by an independent, government board. These assessments are then used to set the funding levels for the university for the next 6 years. You can imagine that there is a very high expectation for each researcher to do well in this assessment, as each researcher brings a certain dollar figure to the University's bottom line. 

How the research is assessed depends on discipline, but generally researchers are put into categories depending on the impact and influence of their research. International research is prized most highly, national research second, and local research last. In a design context, examples would be exhibiting a new work of furniture design in a local museum, the national gallery, or the Milan furniture fair. Researchers who are doing work at the local level bring relatively low levels of government funding each year to the university ($13,000) while a researcher who has a track record of international impact brings much more ($80,000). 

Expectation-wise, research-active staff are contractually obligated to have at least one major research output per year. Pleasantly, creative practice is considered research in NZ, so working artists and designers working on commission can do well in this system. While unwritten, it would be extremely difficult for a researcher to move above the rank of a senior lecturer in my university if their research is not assessed at a national or international level.

In NZ, most research funding comes from within the university, so researchers are not tasked with raising support for their research as is done in other countries. I would be happy to talk facts and figures if people are interested in the details.

we have the highest carnegie classification and our research expectations are high. that being said, i think there's room for innovation. most of my research has been focused on international work, and that is significantly higher than national achievement. in addition, we have a lot of freedom to pursue our own path. i have found mine with a mix of peer-reviewed outcomes, and i find that helpful. rather than one track, i have multiple trajectories, with research woven together topically. i think this is a good opportunity for some designers. 

We're somewhere between an R1/R2 and it varies based on college and department. In my program, we have very high research expectations and a lot of freedom. Our expectations for dissemination are broadly defined to include publishing, presenting, commissions, exhibiting, marketplace-driven products,  and so forth. For tenure and promotion, our activities are evaluated in terms of metrics related to, for example, acceptance rates, level of recognition, and audience (international, national, etc).