Chat:

From Lisa Hammershaimb : a sprinkling of synch
 From Dirk Dallas : Dennis how long is that open studio time usually?
 From Dennis Cheatham : Dirk, I offer 3 hours per week, each at a different time of day to compensate for time zones and work schedules.
 From robinlanda : Conversely, chat allows shy students to participate during synchronous sessions.
 From Dirk Dallas : That’s great thanks!
 From Naoko Masuda : Dennis what are some good platforms that can be used for asynchronous critique?
 From Dennis Cheatham : (…One hour at a time…)
 From Mitch Goldstein : I use Dropbox Paper
 From Alex Girard : Me too!
 From Alex Girard : Love Dropbox Paper!
 From Mitch Goldstein : OMG ALEX ARE WE BFF NOW
 From Alex Girard : For realz.
 From Naoko Masuda : THANKS!
 From Mitch Goldstein : score
 From Dennis Cheatham : Noko, our institution uses Canvas LMS so I use that… but tons of tools could be used for asynchronous discussions.
 From Dirk Dallas : I’m experimenting with Figma for critiques since it has the collaboration and pinned comment feature
 From Naoko Masuda : We’re being asked to use Moodle/Teams so looking for things that can work within that.
 From Silas Munro : I like the idea of dropbox paper, but dropbox is blocked in china. I know many of my students have access to a VPN, but I wonder about some platforms that don’t work in china
 From angelariechers : anyone using Are.na for asynchronous crit?
 From Dennis Cheatham : Good call, Silas… not all countries allow al tools. +1!
 From robinlanda : I’m using Google Classroom to teach GD and AD and I’m able to hold an almost identical experience synchronistically
 From Naoko Masuda : Thank you everyone! Super helpful!
 From Aaris Sherin : Dan is using Collaborate in BB to break students up into groups. My institutions doesn’t have that feature but it seems like a great way to connect with students in real
 From Katherine Mueller : Wow! Amazing!
 From Mitch Goldstein : huge thanks to DI for putting this together!
 From Celi Monroe : I included “Documentation” in the rubric for online projects. If it’s blurry or poorly lit, they know that will affect the grade.
 From Katherine Mueller : I was already using Flickr in the classroom. Asking them to post their progress to the group before each class. I set expectations for commenting participation
 From Dirk Dallas : Celi, great point!
 From Lupe Muñoz Dentice : Hello everyone! I’m from Asunción, Paraguay. I’m using Google Classroom, Moodle (institutional requirement) and Zoom.
 From Dennis Cheatham : Katherine, good call on seeing expectations for commenting participation. Online, it
 From Mitch Goldstein : HARD AGREE WITH ALEX
 From Dennis Cheatham : …it’s important to set clear expectations for number of comments and quality of comments (both praise and critical comments)
 From Lisa Hammershaimb : Much easier to remember when there is a trace of it
 From Dirk Dallas : Are there any *free* online tools for critiquing and pinning comments on videos for motion design projects?
 From Lisa Hammershaimb : @dirk have you checked out voice thread? I think Aaris has used that before with video crit
 From Dirk Dallas : I will look into that thank you Lisa!
 From Celi Monroe : Great point, Alex. All those questions “do we have to ?” questions that naturally come up in-person have to be considered ahead of time and communicated clearly.
 From Celi Monroe : Sorry, *Dennis.
 From Abby Goldstein : Excellent thanks
 From robinlanda : I include the learning outcomes in the design brief as well as how I will evaluate the solution.
 From Dennis Cheatham : Right, robin! Outcomes and evaluation measures up-front… at the start. +1!
 From robinlanda : :)
 From robinlanda : Agreed!
 From robinlanda : Due to the emergency situation, we want to lead with empathy and create a flexible environment for them.
 From Aaris Sherin : If anyone has rubrics, ideas for assessment or other planning docs that they would be willing to share we’d love to facilitate that or feel free to add here in the chat.
 From Abby Goldstein : Alex —Can you give an example
 From Alex Girard : I’d be happy to! What can I give you an example of? Wasn’t monitoring this while I was speaking.
 From Katherine Mueller : Thanks, Aaris. I’m very interested in rubrics
 From Celi Monroe : If it’s in the instructions, it’s in the rubric. It makes grading easier for me and reinforces what’s important. But I try not to get too granular because students will start working to the rubric (“I’m not going to worry about this because it’s only worth 3pts”)
 From Dirk Dallas : Dennis, would love to hear more about how the risk points work
 From Dan Wong : https://social.designincubation.com/topic/252-teaching-online-resources-experiences-tools-recommendations/
 From Celi Monroe : Is anyone using Slack for classes? I like the idea of using tools that may actually be used in the workplace
 From Mitch Goldstein : I am - but just as a kind of catch-all spacce
 From angelariechers : Yes it’s very helpful to have a Slack channel open
 From Mitch Goldstein : formal crits happen on dropbox paper
 From Dennis Cheatham : Celi, I use a 1-point rubric and it has helped define mastery but leave room for Exemplary/Developing/Beginning performance. I can share more…
 From Celi Monroe : Awesome. Would love to learn more, Dennis.
 From Abby Goldstein : Lisa yes THANK YOU!
 From robinlanda : Google
 From Dennis Cheatham : Dirk, I’d be happy to share about risk bonus. Get in touch with me dennis.cheatham@miamioh.edu
 From Dirk Dallas : @Celi I use Slack for posting homework, doing weekly writing reflections, and posting work/doing critiques
 From Abby Goldstein : Great point Lisa
 From Dan Wong : If people would like to share videos on YouTube, or would like us to add their videos to our channel, please let us know!
 From lizdeluna : Two other pieces of software for critiques
 From lizdeluna : https://mural.co/
 From lizdeluna : https://voicethread.com
 From Abby Goldstein : We have a resource at fordhamgraphicdesign.com
 From Alex Girard : Thanks, Liz!
 From walterk : How are people handling students that do not have access to computers - or were reliant on computer labs at your institution? Or handling students that have limited internet access that are now abroad internationally?
 From Dan Wong : CUNY has paused classes for a few days so they can distribute computers…
 From Silas Munro : Otis is also providing laptops and free licenses of software
 From walterk : Good to know!
 From Aaris Sherin : To all - please add questions you have or what you might be interested in in terms of DI Developing more programing / content in the future into the chat here so we can review later! Thanks!
 From Dan Wong : Adobe is apparently extending Creative Cloud licenses for off campus use. There were some glitches… but they’re working them out.
 From Abby Goldstein : Question for DI: Teaching design off the computer
 From Eugene Mayer : Dan—Can you provide more information on the Adobe situation. Software is the biggest problem for one/third of my students now that they are off-campus.
 From lizdeluna : Yeah, I haven’t seen it come through yet, but I understand that it just needs to go through the institutions IT, but all students should get free Adobe CC
 From tracy : I’ve been recommending the Affinity apps, also free for 90 days and very similar to Adobe interface.
 From Dan Wong : https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-enables-distance-learning-globally-schools-impacted-covid-19/
 From Justin Gagne : https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/supporting-the-creative-community/ — 90-Day free trial; alternatives to Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
 From Katherine Mueller : Agreed! Thanks Mitch
 From Dennis Cheatham : Yes, Mitch! Know who your students are and what their needs are. Make it accessible.
 From lizdeluna : Snag It
 From lizdeluna : https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html
 From Dirk Dallas : @Eugene one recommendation is to try the free web based tool Figma
 From Carrie Hamilton : If a student already has an Adobe CC account, they can get two free months by going to the Adobe site, clicking on the chat window and typing “too expensive” in the window
 From Abby Goldstein : It is good to be challenged —how can you design without software?
 From Dennis Cheatham : Demo… one of my feedback videos using Snagit: https://youtu.be/9iqoEcGd69o
 From tracy : My challenge is for students who only have cell phones and limited data or internet access. I have not found good apps to use in that scenario.
 From tracy : Alex, I am the only Graphic Design instructor at my college.
 From Abby Goldstein : Yes for over 20 years I was the only full time faculty in design at Fordham. We just hired an AIR Patrica Belen
 From Abby Goldstein : SOOOO true Aaris
 From Abby Goldstein : THANK for arranging this. Really helpful
 From Douglas Clouse : Hi Everyone, I’ve been collecting some of the products and resources mentioned here: https://www.tdc.org/news/help-for-designers-and-businesses-resources-during-the-pandemic/
 From Karl Heine : Thanks for all the valuable internal information. My specific question has come up through many of the design programs I work with. Since all of the portfolio reviews have been canceled, how are you handling this for online shows and prepping students for video (Zoom) interviews?
 From michael : Alex, I am in a similar position. I am the only faculty for our design department, and one of only 3 full time in the art department at my institution
 From Marks, Andrea S : Thank you so much everyone…great feedback and discussion!
 From Silas Munro : I’m curious how folks are figuring out senior/junior exhibitions?
 From Mitch Goldstein : instagram
 From Mitch Goldstein : we are having students “brand” and curate a show on insta
 From robinlanda : Check out my LinkedIn post on Senior Portfolio Review
 From Johnathon Strube : Alex, I am in a similar spot. One of two faculty. Let’s connect.
 From Mitch Goldstein : there is a great insta account that is collating and reposting shows which of course i forget the name of
 From Maria Bohannon : We are planning on creating a website to host an online exhibition for our Senior capstone in graphic design.
 From Dirk Dallas : @robin would love to, could you share a link?
 From Mitch Goldstein : but if i find it will @ you silas
 From Alex Girard : Same for us, Maria!
 From Celi Monroe : @socialdistancegallery
 From Mitch Goldstein : YES CELI THANK YOU
 From Eugene Mayer : Thanks for a terrific discussion today.
 From Alex Girard : Thanks to all for joining us!
 From Mitch Goldstein : thank you everyone!
 From angelariechers : one of the most positive things is how beautifully educators support each other! thanks so much everyone
 From Alex Girard : Agreed 🙂
 From Silas Munro : Great thoughts
 From Maria Bohannon : Thanks for sharing everyone! Nice to know we’re all in the same position.
 From Celi Monroe : Thanks, everyone. Good to feel connected in this moment.
 From Silas Munro : We in the past had great insta accounts in tandem with the show, but I’m also thinking about an “opening”
 From Mitch Goldstein : @ silas: could be a timed hashtag bomb or something
 From Mitch Goldstein : & ill happily tweet that
 From angelariechers : @mitchgoldstein that’s a great idea
 From robinlanda : LinkedIn post: https://bit.ly/3al6zGl
 From Katherine Mueller : You can save the chat transcript using the … button
 From lmaione@kcai.edu : re: senior show, we’ll have a durational element digitally available for a short time (i.e. opening) as well as a longer-term online element
 From Silas Munro : This is amazing! Great resources everyone
 From Justin Gagne : Free online courses as supplemental content: https://thegymnasium.com
 From PJ : Re: Online opening: as much a as don’t like FB, FB Live - has all the elements needed for an “online opening” - ha worked before for my 20x02 Posters For Peace exhibit when I was in China / Mexico / USA at the same time
 From Dirk Dallas : This was so great! Really appreciate you taking the time to bring us together and share ideas!
 From Silas Munro : @mitch yes! Thanks
 From Charmaine : For our graduating seniors, in lieu of a FTF portfolio review, I’m trying to pair each student with a design mentor (mostly alumni).
 From Charmaine : Thank you so much!
 From Naoko Masuda : thank you!
 From lmaione@kcai.edu : thank you!
 From Lia Golemba : Thank you!!
 From Karl Heine : Thanks, I think for the next one you should have everyone on live.